Web developer and consultant with a passion for crafting elegant & effective solutions.
Daft Labs, Burlington VT
Owner, Lead Developer
QC Creative, Burlington VT
Freelance Web Developer
First Mate & Watchmaster
Schooner Isaac Webb, Greenport NY
Art Director, Asst. Managing Editor
The Vermont Cynic, Burlington VT
Head of Photography
The Aloha Foundation, Fairlee VT
Berkshire Living Magazine, Pittsfield MA
- HTML5 / XHTML
- CSS / LESS / SASS
- Twitter Bootstrap
- Zurb Foundation
- PHP4 / PHP5
- Apache / FastCGI
- NGINX / PHP-FPM
- Amazon Web Services
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Indesign
- Preferred editors: Sublime Text, Coda, vim
- American Sign Language (ASL)
- Machine Learning / Natural Language Processing
- Super Smash Bros 64
Please contact me for references.
Some of the projects I've worked on with QC Creative and as a freelancer:
Center for Youth Ministry Training, Brentwood TN
Role: Project Manager, Lead Developer
The Center for Youth Ministry Training provides training and internship opportunities as well as offering a number of online publications through their website. CYMT had a number of websites but wished to consolidate their many blogs and custom systems into one.
- Consolodated CYMT's many DIY WordPress blogs into one professionally built site
- Built site responsively to accommodate increasing mobile and tablet traffic
- Built custom CakePHP application for processing student applications
Role: Project Manager, Lead Developer
In Collaboration with Lisa Kay Design (graphic design) and Voornas Creative (copywriting)
Based on AASHE's STARS for universities and colleges, protostar provides comprehensive sustainability metrics for secondary and elementary schools. The founding schools required a robust and unique adaptation of the STARS django application
- Oversaw a complete redesign of the application, beginning with a logo and tagline discovery phase
- Adapted existing django plugins to new designs and custom functionality
- Attracted a 133% increase in participating schools in the first six months of operation
911 Consulting, Wilton CT
Role: Online marketing manager
911 Consulting creates emergency plans, training and exercises for organizations like GE Headquarters, Health Net, Cablevision, Goodrich, Western Connecticut State University.
Since early 2013, QC Creative has managed 911 Consulting's online marketing campaigns, including copywriting, copyediting, SEO & PPC services. In the first 12 months, our work led to the following improvements:
- Organic visitors up 185%
- Cost per conversion down 40%
- Cost per click down 60%
- Paid page views up 198%
The Actor's Calculator, Manhattan NY
Role: Co-founder, Lead Developer
The SAG/AFTRA union provides very detailed, but complicated fee structures for it's many members. The complex arithmetic involved can make it difficult to calculate one's appropriate wages. The Actor's Calculator eases this burden, allowing union members to quickly calculate their own paychecks while still on set.
Academic Support Programs at UVM, Burlinton Vt.
Role: Lead Developer, Accessibility Consultant
ASP is responsible for providing disability services (e.g. assistive technology, interpreters, special accommodations) to the UVM community. Requests from students must be correctly routed to various departments which participate in services, as well as to the professors of any courses affected.
- Developed a new, centralized online system for requests, replacing dozens of paper forms
- Consulted on accessibility issues and helped to establish UVM web accessibility standards
- Provided training and assistance to department heads, who manage their own sub-websites
Magic Hat Brewing Co., South Burlinton Vt.
Role: PHP Developer
The People’s Place, since integrated into the main Magic Hat Website, was a community portal for Magic Hat’s most loyal fans. Magic Hat required a way to post events and contests based on specific regions.
- Developed custom Joomla modules to integrate with existing People’s Place
- Built custom distance-from-zip-code search functionality for Events
- Implemented automated contests widget with random winner selection based on given criteria
- Developed supplemental Facebook App using the CakePHP Framework
At QC Creative we often work with graphic designers and their clients, providing PSD to HTML conversion, custom WordPress theme development, hosting, and maintenance services for small businesses. Examples: